tibouchina urvilleana - Knowledgebase Question

Whittier, CA (Zone 10)
Question by lorijonbrown2
I have a tibouchina urvilleana. I just transplanted as it was all root bound. Now it looks like it's dying; the leaves dried up and are falling off but there are little buds as if it's going to bloom. My question is 1. did I do something to shock the plant by transplanting this time of year? 2. or does this plant lose all of its follage before it blossoms? I bought this plant on the 1st anniversary of my mothers passing and I really don't want to lose it.

0

I suspect your Princess Flower is pouting because of the transplanting. Not to worry. Where these plants are grown outdoors and subject to frost that kills the tops back, they quickly resprout from the roots. So, even if yours dies back completely, it should recover in a few weeks. It is not normal for them to lose their leaves before they bloom so that, too, is a response to the transplanting. Just keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and keep it in a bright place. It should rebound soon. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"