Gardenia blossoms turning brown - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Hill, Fl
Question by lancemel00
My new gardenia's are blossoming beautifully but are quickly turning brown, do i clip them once brown and why do they turn brown so quickly?

0

Melanie,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

They may be browning due to a fungal blight. Such diseases are common during rainy weather or when you are sprinkler irrigating the plants which wets the blooms frequently. If they can stay dry for a while the problems should go away. In the meantime you can trim of the brown blooms if you like.