Squirrel Problem on Peach Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Cherry Hill, NJ
Question by Nan546
I have a three year old peach tree that I take excellent care of and each year ALL of my peaches are eaten by squirrels! I have searched for a squirrel baffle but I am unable to find one that has an opening to allow me to place it around the trunk. Theycan jump onto my peach tree from some tall arborvitaes that belong to my neighbor so I can't really cut them down or anything. Do you think a big net over the tree will help? I bought one but it will be such a huge ordeal to put it on the tree that Ihope you can come up with something else. Also, trapping them will be fruitless because we have tons of squirrels in this neighborhood.

0

This situation sounds heavily weighted in favor of the squirrels...but there is hope! There are lots of remedies you could try, such as hot pepper spray on the tree or scare-owls, but you'll be better off if you go for the permanent solution - a fruit tree cage. It means building a frame around the tree and using a hardware cloth or other wire mesh material too small to admit those pesky rodents, but it'll be worth it! You can even grow sweet peas or other vining flower on the lower perimeter of the cage to disguise it - just don't plant a vine that grows so tall it will interfere with air circulation around the tree. Let those squirrels eat cake, and enjoy your peaches!