Seedlings Temperature - Knowledgebase Question

NYC, NY
Question by frarts
Once I've gotten the first seedlings to emerge, what is the best temperature for them? My apartment has alot of southern sun, and I've noticed it gets very hot on the windowsill.

0

Some seeds require heat to germinate, but once the seeds have sprouted, regular household temperatures will suit them just fine. Your seedlings will appreciate 12-14 hours of bright light, but I'd take care about putting them in direct sunshine coming through a window. Perhaps you can place the plants on a tray near the window, rather than on the windowsill where heat will be trapped and intensified. Make sure the soil stays moist, but not soggy, while your plants develop root systems.