Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Aberdeen, NC
Question by cronauerk
I have a hydrangea that won't bloom. It was there when I moved in 2 years ago. I cut it back and it comes back but will not have any blooms. What do I need to do?

0

Without knowing what type of hydrangea you have it is a bit difficult to make a guess as to the cause of the problem. However, the macrophylla types (which are the most common) bloom on the previous year's wood, so certainly your trimming would have caused the plant to skip a summer's bloom. A harshly cold or windy winter could kill it back enough to prevent blooming during the coming season, and overly lush or succulent growth (especially if the plant has been oversupplied with nitrogen during the season) is more subject to that type of damage. Finally, late spring freezes can also kill the newly emerging growth and prevent blooming for a year. Finally, hydrangeas bloom best when they receive morning sun and afternoon shade. I hope this helps you figure out what has been going wrong. I hope your plant blooms next year!