Maple Trees from Seed - Knowledgebase Question

TINLEY PARK, IL
Question by AKOTES
What type of potting soil should I plant a maple seed pod in? Is it just regular soil with fertilizer, or something different? I want to start the tree in a pot and then plant it in the ground in the fall. Any tips for doing this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0

You can use regular potting soil to start your new trees. No fertilizer is necessary. In fact, seedlings cannot use fertilizer until they mature enough for the roots to be able to even take it upl

When mature, maple fruit (samaras) turn from green to yellow or brown and fall to the ground. Collect mature fruit from the lawn, driveway, or gutters. There is no need to remove the seed from the fruit.

The fruit of red (Acer rubrum) and silver maple (Acer saccharinum) mature in late spring or early summer. Neither requires a pregermination treatment and should be planted immediately. The fruit of most maple species mature in the fall. Sow seed directly outdoors in the fall or plant stratified seed in the spring. Seed of the sugar maple (Acer saccharum) should be stratified for 40 to 90 days at 33 to 41?F, while seed of the Norway maple (Acer platanoides) require 90 to 120 days at 41?F. Plant the seed (fruit) 1/4 to 1 inch deep.

Best wishes with your new maple trees!