Renovating Bermuda Grass - Knowledgebase Question

San Bernardino, CA
Question by underhiswing
I rented my house out for 10 yrs while I was in Fl. The people didn't water and care for the lawn. It is now full of all kinds of weeds. I was told to water the lawn and eventually the grass will come back and choke out the weeds. Is the correct?

0

What you've heard is correct - a thick, healthy lawn will choke out most weeds, but you may have to help things along to reach that goal by killing the weeds first and then putting your lawn on a regular feeding, watering and mowing schedule. I hope you don't have to start all over, but that's a possibility, too. If most of the weeds are perennials it would be best to spray them and then restart with a new sodded area. The best weed control is a dense, healthy turf. Do all you can to develop a good, dense turf (regular mowing, deep infrequent watering and moderate fertilizing) and over a year or two you will eliminate the vast majority of weeds in your turf. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!