Chameleon Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Lakewood, OH
Question by correiadani
We recently moved to our new residence. Our garden is now begining to bloom. Apparently, whom ever lived here prior to us planted chameleon vine in the garden and they are everywhere. How do I kill these plants?

0

Chameleon plant (Houttuynia cordata) is one of those terribly aggressive groundcovers that spreads via top growth and underground roots. It is semi-aquatic so anywhere there is water in the soil, this plant will grow. There are no herbicides effective on the chameleon plant that won't harm your other plants so I'm afraid the best action is simply to pull it as it appears. I know this sounds like a daunting task, but if you keep pulling it each time it rears its ugly head, the roots will eventually run out of stored energy and they will die out. Wish I had a better solution!