Disposing of ashes - Knowledgebase Question

Boerne, Tx
Question by gbgrilly
Are ashes from burned oak and cedar beneficial as a mulch?

0

Georgia,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Wood ashes are very high in their pH levels. If you soil is acidic a little wood ash can be helpful. If it is basic it can be detrimental. Plants that are fond of high pH soils would be most appreciative while azaleas, camellias, rhododendrons, potatoes, blueberries and other acidic loving plants would resent the wood ashes.

Most soils in your area are very high pH and so my advice would be to avoid using ashes in the landscape and garden.