I would like a wind screen with an non invasive root system? - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, FL
Question by jmaginjr
Can you recommend a shrub to a provide a wind screen/ privacy area along the back yard. I would like to keep it 12-18 inches thick and approx 6 ft tall. I am looking for something dense without an invasive root syste. I recently removed 9 ficus trees which destroyed the pipes to my pool equipment.

0

Randy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Keeping any plant that narrow is very difficult. You might consider building a vertical trellis and planting a vine on it. I would consider a clumping type of bamboo such as Bambusa multiplex (Alphonse karr is one variety). Then cut it off at the desired height.

If you want a free standing plant the barrier will need to be a bit thicker.
Some plants include 'Bright N Tight' Cherry Laurel or 'Little Gem' Magnolia.