Hydrangea perennial or not? - Knowledgebase Question

Rome, ny
Question by boyz38
I just purchased a potted Hydrangea and its pink and purple and still growing. Could this be planted now and come up every year? Thanks

0

Without knowing for sure which specific variety of hydrangea this is, it is difficult to tell you if it will be winter hardy for you, or not. Many of the hydrangeas grown as florist plants are not winter hardy. Among the hydrangeas sold for landscape use, there are only a few that might be winter hardy in your area (zone 5A or the coldest part of zone 5 is really the top limit for even the hardiest), such as "Endless Summer". You could plant it and see what happens. Select a sheltered spot with good protection from winter winds, organic, evenly moist yet well drained soil, and morning sun or bright dappled light all day. I wish I could be more encouraging.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"