What is it? - Knowledgebase Question

Port Charlotte, Fl
Avatar for mmm56
Question by mmm56
May 26, 2007
I have areas around my house where shrubs get what looks like mold on the stems and leaves. It is black and seems to affect only shrubs. What is is and how do I treat it. New plants get it too.

Answer from NGA
May 26, 2007
If you can scrape the black off the leaves, or wash it off with water, it is most likely sooty mold. This is a by-product of feeding by insects such as aphids, scale insects and mealybugs. Typically, the pests will feed on the undersides of leaves and as they do, excrete a sugary substance called honeydew. This has a high enough sugar content that it favors fungal or bacterial growth. When that happens, it is called sooty mold. It doesn't hurt your plants but it does look unattractive. To get rid of it, you will need to get rid of the pests feeding on your plants. Inspect your plants for signs of insects and then control them with the appropriate sprays.

Best wishes with your garden.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Newyorkrita and is called "Siberian Iris China Spring "

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.