Peony flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Lafayette, LA
Question by spadumane
I have planted some Peony bulbs about 3 years back. Every spring, it grows about 6 to 12 inches and stops with no flowers. Then dies in winter. I love these flowers and I don't know how to make them flower. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

0

It could be that your peonies are planted too deeply. Wait until this fall when frost nips the tops of your plants, then dig them up and replant them so the tubers are, with the buds or "eyes" will be between 1 and 2 inches below the surface of
the soil. This is most important because if the plants are planted too deep, beautiful foliage will be produced but few, if any, flowers. Peonies need full sunshine to perform well. Replanting this fall should result in flowers next spring.

Enjoy!