CROSS POLLINATION OF PHLOX AND CRANES BILL 9HARDY GERANIUM - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Vicki Bennon
CHAMPION, MI
Question by vickibennon
I purchase a phlox 'Sherbert Cocktail' and a geranium pratense 'Double Jewel'. In my garden I have a tall Red Tenor Phlox and a geranium , I'm not sure the type, I obtained it from an old township hall that was landscaping. The geranium grows in mounds of 2-3ft. tall and are magenta in color. Will my new plant flowers change color if planted near the older plants?

0

Plants of the same species, which flower at the same time, can cross-pollinate, resuting in new hybrids. While the parent plant will remain the same, any seeds you save and plant, or that spill onto the soil and germinate, can result in a brand new flower color. So your phlox and your geraniums will remain true, but any offspring can be different than the parents.