injurious perennials - Knowledgebase Question

allison park, pa
Question by jfweixel
I have purchased and planted ten Lily Lirio Vigoro plants from my local Home Depot. Recently I have read that they may be injurious if any plant part touches the mouth area. Also, in very small letters it says to remove the stamens to avoid pollen stains. I have them in my front yard as well as the back. Are these plants a problem and did I goof somehow? Other than planting directions, very little info is offered. Please tell me all you can about this plant. Thank you

The information about the pollen stains is intended for flower arrangers or if you wore the lily as a corsage; the pollen will stain.

Lilies are toxic to cats. Information about that is listed as the ASPCA Web site,

Lilies are widely grown in gardens across the country. Surprisingly, many commonly used landscape plants are toxic. In a brief check I did not find lilies listed as a commonly known toxic plant. However, it is generally wise to avoid eating landscape plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"