Leyland cypress turning brown - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, SC (Zone 7B)
Question by ehbedford
I just planted leyland Cypress trees and some are turning brown. I water them once a day. Can you give me some advice in caring for newly planted Leyland Cypress trees in clay and sandy soils. I don't want to over water because of the poor soil. I don't know what to do.

Italian cypresses are very adaptable and will grow in clay, sand or loam soils, as long as it drains well. Once established they get along with about one-inch of water per week during the growing season. Italian cypress needs exposure to full sunshine for healthiest growth. If you're watering once a day, you're keeping the soil too wet, which is eliminating oxygen. Without oxygen, the roots will die. Water deeply once each week during the growing season to help your plants establish a deep root system.

Best wishes with your Leyland Cypresses!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"