vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, PA (Zone 6B)
Question by gdav218
Can I grow vegetables in a flower pot? I have a cement yard no dirt

0

It is certainly possible to grow vegetables in containers. Keep in mind that they need full sun. Tomatoes do well in a five gallon size or larger container, for example. If you have a half barrel size planter you could grow a succession of plants such as lettuce and spinach in early spring followed by bush beans or perhaps a bush type of cucumber or a trellised melon for summer, then a fall crop of greens or other cool season planting. Herbs also do quite well in pots. Use a good quality soil mix formulated for container plants, make sure your container has working drain holes in the bottom, and water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet and not dried out. Also, fertilize regularly with a water soluble fertilizer or a slow release fertilizer per the label directions. Enjoy your vegetables this summer!