zucchini growth - Knowledgebase Question

fort collins, Co
Question by tippyone
I am new to gardening and am wondering how long it takes for zuccini & crookneck squash to start producing? I know the leaves get very large, how long before that usually happens?

0

Summer squash (both zucchini and crookneck) usually grow at least 15 leaves before setting flowers. Often the first flowers are male, and will not produce fruit. You can tell whether a flower is male or female observing the stem attached to the flower; a female flower will have a small swelling at the base of the flower. The swelling will turn into a full-on fruit. If there is no swelling, and only a prickly stem is present, this is a male flower.

Be sure to harvest your squash when they are small (about 6 inches). They will be tender and tasty with smaller seeds. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"