Cardinal Climber vs Hyacinth Bean - Knowledgebase Question

Sparta, NJ
Question by slemieux
Up here in Sparta, (zone 6) my hyacinth beans have not bloomed until late fall. Will Cardinal climber give me earier blooms?

0

Hyacinth beans should be blooming in mid-summer. Are you starting from seed indoors? Perhaps by starting your seed indoors you can get the vines "jump started" and they will bloom earlier. Try using peat pots for starting to avoid transplant shock (tear off the top of the pots before planting, be sure to cover all of the peat pot with soil). Cardinal Climber should bloom earlier than Hyacinth Bean, but once again, I would try starting indoors. Whichever you choose, consider feeding with a balanced liquid fertilizer (5-10-10) throughout the season, this will speed growth and hopefully, blooming.