litter - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Lillian, mn
Question by emmit
we have a small acreage and two indoor cats, a lot of kitty litter. Can I spread this on the garden the bag says it is mainly clay. Or what else can I do with it we have no garbage pickup service out here. Merv Hanson

Used kitty litter contains urea and solids. If you remove the solids and spread the litter thinly on unused portions of your acreage, it should break down without problem. I would avoid using it in close proximity to plants; the salts in the urine can have compromising effects on plant growth. The kitty litter will break down quickly if you bury it under a few inches of soil. I'd scrape a trench in the yard and sprinkle the used litter in the trench - not too thick, just a couple of inches - and then kick the soil over the top.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"