Spruce Tree / Flowering bush - Knowledgebase Question

Sutton, Ma
Question by Bousquet694
I have a 30+ foot spruce tree in the front of my house that was damaged by the contractor that we hired to connect our home to town sewer. The trunk of the tree wasn't damaged but a hole was put in the front of it. I really hate to trim the tree that high up and was wondering if there were any flowering shrubs or bushes that would co-exist with the spruce that I could plant in front to cover the hole. I read through your other questions and found a reply for ground covering that lives well with a spruce, but want something that will grow about 5-8' high and will have foliage when the bloom is done. Is there such a plant or do I have to trim the tree?

0

There are a number of flowering shrubs you can plant in the area: Rhododendron, Azalea, Lilac, Spirea, Hydrangea, and Viburnum are all good choices; non-flowering Ilex (holly) and Boxwood are two evergreens you might consider.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.