challenge - Knowledgebase Question

brockport, ny
Question by ebryantx2004
I live on a cul de sac. Unfortunatly every year the snow plow ruins my lawn. They come by every spring and put fresh dirt down and grass seeds, but it never frows back no matter how diligent I am about watering. Is there a perennial I can plant there that would fill in the bald spot and live through the salted soil?

0

Based on your description I am not certain if it is the salt alone or possibly in combination with a snow mold problem that is killing the lawn grass. You might be able to put markers out in the cul de sac to direct the snow plow to dump the snow in the street rather on the lawn; this would help with both problems. If you want to try to grow grass, a thorough flushing with plain water from the hose in spring would help to leach the salt deeper into the soil below the root zone of the grass. You might also consider working some compost into the soil in that area and then seeding it yourself; careful attention to watering is also important. leaching the salt once the snow season is over should be done for whatever plant you try to establish there. Salt tolerant ground covers you might consider would include low growing junipers and also the tawny daylily, Hemerocallis fulva. You might also want to consult with your Cornell county extension to see if they have any suggestions.