Sunflowers - Knowledgebase Question

Boxborough, MA
Question by Photo1EMT2
Hi, I planted several sunflower seedlings, and something has dug up and eaten every one. What could be doing that? Chipmunks? This seems to happen during the night. I also find several round holes in the yard. Thanks.

0

Could be all manner of wildlife, from squirrels to rabbits to raccoons or chipmunks. Unless you catch them in the act, it may always remain a mystery. To protect your new sunflower seedlings, set a little cage over the top, especially at night. I make cylinders out of chicken wire or hardware cloth and they work wonderfully well.

Best wishes with your sunflowers!

Today's site banner is by Vals_Garden and is called "Hacquetia epipactis 'Thor'"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.