Tea Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, GA
Question by mulrich2
We are into nutritional supplements and we want to grow our own tea. But we can't find info on growing, harvesting, pruning, etc. We have ordered the herb and veggie garden from Burpee, but no tea plants are offered. Please help me get info.

0

Have I got a source for you! Richters Herbs has a huge selection of medicinal plants, herbs, and books for growing them. Offerings include Camellia sinensis (tea), chamomile, lemon balm, and kombucha. Their web site is www.richters.com; their phone number (in Canada) is 905-640-6677. You'll need to check with them about what they can ship to the US; they may be able to ship only seeds, not plants.

Regarding Camillia sinensis (syn. Thea sinensis): this is a native of China, Indochina, and Thailand. In general, camillias like well-drained, slightly acidic, fertile soil that is rich with humus. It should neither stay excessively wet, nor suffer extended drought for best growth. It is hardy to USDA zone 7, and has been grown successfully in southeastern US.

Also, please e-mail Burpee's customer service department directly at: burpeecs@surfnetwork.net with your request for tea plants!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"