Douglas Fir Transplant - Knowledgebase Question

shelton, wa
Question by ben46
I recently purchased several bare root Douglas Fir trees. After purchase, I soaked them in water for a couple of hours and then planted them. THe soil is well draining. At first they seemed to start growing, but over the last 1-2 weeks they seem to be browning on the verge of dying. I water them every couple of days if it has not rained. Could this be some kind of transplant shock? What else would cause them to brown / die? This same thing is also happening to some sequoia trees that I planted at the same time, but not as severe...yet.

0

It probably is some transplant shock, coupled with a tad too much water. Instead of watering every couple of days, water your trees deeply once each week. A layer of mulch over the soil will help slow evaporation and keep the roots moist without suffocating them by driving out all the oxygen (which can happen when soil is too wet).

Best wishes with your new trees.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"