Yellowing & Dying Geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, NV
Question by afk99
I recently purchased 3 Geranium plants. They were very healthy looking plants. But after they were planted in the pots 2 weeks later they started yellowing and dying. Why has this happened?

0

I'm sorry you're geraniums aren't looking well. It could be to a variety of factors, including transplant shock and the heat. Geraniums aren't well-suited to the desert's intense summer heat, although they are usually available in the nurseries because everyone likes them. Combined with typical transplant shock to the root system, that is the likely cause. Other issues to consider are over and underwatering, nutrient deficiency (usually a lack of nitrogen) and overfertilizing. As you can see, it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause because the same symptoms are visible with opposite ends of the water and nutrient spectrum! Try to isolate these things one at a time. Also, if you can move the containers into filtered light where they receive protection from direct afternoon sun, and put a layer of organic mulch on top of the soil to reduce moisture loss and soil temperature, that can help. Good luck!