Weeds - Knowledgebase Question

West Valley, UT
Question by brandiemulle
I have morning glory growing on my shrubs. How do I get rid of it for good. I get my lawn sprayed and taken care of and it seem to stay out of the lawn. What works the best.

0

Wild Morning glory, aka bindweed, is very difficult to eradicate. Most herbicides won't slow or stop it because it has an extensive root system. As the plants grow, they send more and more energy to the roots, which in turn produce more and more new sprouts. The first step is to cut it down to ground level to keep it from blooming and spreading more seeds. Then chop it down the minute it rears its ugly head. If you keep it cut down it won't be able to manufacture energy and eventually the roots will die out. This will be an ongoing process - it takes at least a year and probably two to get the plants under control. Wish there was an easier solution, but herbicides simply aren't effective and they could damage your shrubs. So, chop, cut, and keep at it. You'll eventually win the battle.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"