dollar weeds in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Daytona Beach, Fl
Question by shivelvetjoy
How can I get rid of or control dollar weeds in my lawn? I thought that I got rid of them before planting new seeds but they have reappeard and it seems that no spray or granual will get rid of them. Is there a way to get rid of them without tearing up my lawn, I just got it where I like it, nice and green. Thanks for any and all information you can give me at this time.

0

Dollar weed is best controlled with an herbicide containing atrizine such as Scott's Bonus S or Ortho's Weed-b-Gon weed killer for St. Augustine Grass. A follow up treatment may be necessary in 6-8 weeks.

Watering can also have an impact on how effectively weed controls works on killing dollarweed. This is especially true of sandy soils. If your soil is primarily sand, then we recommend that after applying Scotts Bonus S, water the lawn for 5-10 minutes, and for the following week cut back on your watering schedule. Water in 5-minute sessions. For example, if you normally water each zone 20 minutes cut this watering session into 3, 5-minute sessions. Watering for 15 minutes or more in a well-drained soil can rinse Bonus S right through the soil and away from weeds; thus it cannot do the job. We also recommend that the weeds not be mowed for two days both before and after the product application.

For spot treatment you may apply Ortho Weed B Gon for St. Augustine Lawns. This is a dry granule product that you apply to a dry lawn and then water in. It is ideal for use in-between applications of Scotts Bonus S.

For lawns of Bahia, Bermuda, Centipede, Fescue, or Zoysiagrass, use Ortho Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for Lawns (concentrate or ready-to-use).

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"