Beetles - Knowledgebase Question

Durham, NC
Avatar for wilhelminafo
Question by wilhelminafo
June 15, 2007
How do I keep beetles from destroying my flowering plants?

Answer from NGA
June 15, 2007
The most common flower eating beetle in your area is Japanese Beetle. It's easier to control the grubs in the soil than to control the adults, but here are a few options. The adults can be controlled by spraying susceptible plants with insecticides. Over-the-counter pesticides available for this include: acephate (Orthene), carbaryl (Sevin), and several pyrethroids - bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, deltamethrin, lambda-cyhalothrin, permethrin, and others. Applications of imidacloprid (=Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub Concentrate) generally need to be made 20 days before anticipated Japanese beetle adult activity. During the heavy adult activity periods, sprays may be needed every 5 to 10 days.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Rowyts and is called "Good Morning Grandpa Ott"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.