Looking for new shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

White Plains, MD
Question by erinreif
I am looking for shrubs to plant in front of my new home. My home receives full, direct sunlight from noon until sunset. We have clay-like soil. I like the look of boxwoods, but they are very slow growers. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

0

You will need to use plants that tolerate hot afternoon sun. With heavy clay, you may need to create slightly raised planting areas or use only plants that are suited to clay based soil. Some to consider might include barberry, juniper, spirea, forsythia, and burning bush. Look for smaller maturing cultivars that will fit into the space available as they mature. Your local county extension may also have some suggestions. Enjoy your new home!