Corn meal added to soil - Knowledgebase Question

Overgaard, AZ
Question by mpdraper
I was told to add corn meal to my planter box soil to feed the worms, but then later I read somewhere that corn meal will not allow the seeds to germinate. Is this true? My new garden has not sprouted very well, except for the turnips, and lettuce. Please advise if I need to replace this soil that has a lot of corn meal added to it.

0

Phyllis,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You don't need to replace the soil. It is corn gluten meal not corn meal (they are different) that inhibits germination of some seeds. Even that product doesn't last that long and in a month or so won't be inhibiting seeds any longer.