Aspen trees - Knowledgebase Question

Silver Spring, MD
Question by barbphotog
I bought 4 Aspen trees; how shall I prepare the soil? What conditions do Aspen like?

0

There are several different types of aspen (Populus) however in general they are fast growing trees. They will tolerate a variety of soil types but do best in an evenly moist yet well drained, humusy soil. They also require a full sun location. I should mention that these trees have excellent cold tolerance but are not well adapted to the extremely hot, humid summers you have in the Washington, DC area. The heat stress may make the trees susceptible to a variety of problems such as mildew, canker, borers and stress related dieback as well as other pests and diseases. This means they will probably be fairly short lived. I wish I could be more encouraging.