|Recently i gave my brother money to buy me some lumber from Home Depot to make a Trelis for a Grapevine. After it was built he told me it was pressure treated wood we used and they made that with arsenic and ive heard you shouldnt eat anything that has been grown on pressure treated wood. Is that true. Is there anything i would have to worry about eating any grapes that eventually come from that vine? Im sorry to bother you but this just has been bugging me and i was hopeing you could help me w/this question :). Thankyou, Summer
|Answer from NGA
June 18, 2007
|Pressure treated wood is fine to use for a trellis, but I wouldn't recommend using it in a vegetable garden. This is because the chemicals might leach into the soil and contaminate the underground veggies. Growing grapevines on a pressure treated trellis should not contaminate the grapes because they will not make direct contact with the lumber. Grapes hang down and away from the vines so they should be free and clear. If any grape bunches rest directly on the lumber you can prune them off rather than harvesting them. Hope this clarifies things for you.
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage