Window box help - Knowledgebase Question

Lacey, WA (Zone 7B)
Question by jennilou72
We have window boxes at our new office, and I'd like to fill them with perennials and evergreens if possible. Something fairly low maintenance. I don't know where to start. There are a few window boxes with southern exposure and a few with western exposure. Any suggestions?

0

Start with a good grade of potting soil and underplant with bulbs for a late winter, early spring surprise. Use Crocus, Narcissus, Hyacinth and tulips. Then plant pansies, dusty miller, chrysanthemum and primrose. In the fall you can add ornamental kale for a color change. Evergreens perfect for windowboxes include heathers and the trailing vinca minor. You might also plant Erysimum and Hellebore for splashes of color. Evergreen ornamental grasses such as Carex, Japanese sedge grass, Liriope, or Japanese bloodgrass.

Hope this gives you some ideas!