What to do about acorns? - Knowledgebase Question

Allen, Tx
Question by ccta1
I'm a new gardener with 2 extremely large oak trees that produce tons of acorns. Are the acorns harmful to flowers beds? What can be done to protect the yard besides racking 24/7?
Thanks

0

Charlotte,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The acorns won't harm the flower beds and in fact act much like a mulch and will decompose in time. However, many of them will sprout and become little "weed trees" that you'll need to remove or if they are in a lawn simply mow over.