Caring for Magnolias - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeland, fl
Question by MyrnaMarrer
I have an old Magnolia Tree. Some of its branches seem be rotting off. I don't know if it has a fungus, it also has alot of air plants hanging from it.

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Based on your description of the tree I am not sure whether it has a problem or not. Old trees often are in such a condition. The air plants are not a problem at all. The older rotting branches may need to be pruned off but Magnolias are native and live a long time in such conditions. My gut feeling is that the tree is fine and perhaps a little cleaning up pruning here and there is in order.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"