Pruning tea roses - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, NY
Question by ddeeup
I have several tea rose bushes, very large. I know enough not to prune them when they are flowering but what about after. Do you

0

Hybrid tea roses are pruned back to about three feet in the fall to prevent them being whipped around by winter winds. If you are using rose cones or other protective measures you may need to trim them more than that to make them fit. Then in spring you would prune again. Remove any winter damaged canes, then prune to open the plant to light and air and to direct the new growth. If you are growing roses for show you might prune it very hard, but if you are pruning for garden display you can prune a bit less hard, leaving anywhere between three feet and about a foot depending on winter damage.