Planting Emerald Green Arborvitae that have a root ball wrapped in burlap - Knowledgebase Question

East Wenatchee, WA
Question by gbscharm
I purchased 19 7-gallon Emerald Green Arborvitae. The rootballs are inside burlap bags. Do I leave the burlap on the rootball when I plant the trees or do I remove them. If I should leave them on, do I open the burlap up at all?

0

It is always best to remove the burlap and any ties around the roots of your plants before setting them into their new homes. Dig the hole first, to make sure that the plants will be at the same soil level as they are now. Then cut the ties and slit the burlap so you can pull it off the roots. Set the rootmass into the hole and backfill with the soil you took out of the planting hole. Tamp it down and then water each new arborvitae immediately after planting.

Best wishes with your new plants.