Good shrub semi shade in frontof bay window - Knowledgebase Question

Plainfield, il
Question by amynowocin
Hi I had a big ornemental grass in front of my bay window I didnt save my receipt and it didnt come back , Ineed to know a good bush to put there it is surrounded by hostas (whats left of them after the rabbits) corral bells groundcovering and a tree onthe end. This is in the middle ofeverything in front of my bay window. Semi shade Ilive outside chicago. Thanks

0

You might try a smaller maturing variety of Summersweet Clethra (Clethra alnifolia) or perhaps Sweetspire (Itea virginica). Or, you could try Hydrangea arborescens " Annabelle" (white flowers, very winter hardy) or one of the new types of Hydrangea macrophylla such as "Endless Summer" that have better winter hardiness and are able to bloom on new growth of the season. Your local county extension and/or a professionally trained and certified nurseryman may have other suggestions, based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions where you want to plant as well as your overall design goals.