Transplanting a Hosta - Knowledgebase Question

Portland, ME
Question by lisa564
Do you think a hosta (sp?) would survive if I transplanted it to another area of my yard right now? When is the best time to transplant- in the morning or at night, or does it matter?

0

It should survive, but it will probably drop some of its leaves if you move it in mid-summer. Water it thoroughly the evening before you plant to move it and then dig the new hole before you unearth the plant. Make the move as quickly as possible so the roots are not exposed to dry air and sunshine for any longer than necessary. I'd move it when the air temperature is the coolest and it will suffer less during the move. After replanting, be sure to water well to help settle the soil. Hosta's grow best in shade, so be sure it has a shady new home.

Best wishes with your garden!