what to plant under a tree - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, GA (Zone 7B)
Question by djp31263
could you te;ll me what might do good planted under a tree,,i have trywed all sorts of bedding plants and they never make it,,,i want something that will look good planted under my tree but i have no luck,,,,thank you,,,,djp31263@aol.com

0

Donna,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

In the shade of a tree hostas are a popular plant. If the shade is not too dense a dwarf azalea might also work well. Annuals like caladium, impatiens, and wishbone flower (Torenia) work well in a shady environment. Work some compost into the soil and keep the root zone moist but not too soggy wet. Fertilize the plants with a soluble fertilizer solution such as Miracle Gro. This should help get your plants going and blooming well.