Borders - Knowledgebase Question

omaha, ne
Question by quilt4linus
I purchased a home that has a chain link fence. How can I start to create privacy hedges, etc. It seems overwhelming to look at all of the fence line. I would like something fast growing and flowering. Thanks

0

I would think in terms of a planting bed extending several feet away from the fence and planted with a variety of both evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs. This will provide a sound buffer as well as blocking wind. You can add some vines to grow up the fence to provide privacy as well as to serve as a backdrop for your other ornamental shrubs. Black Cedar, Thuja occidentalis nigra, grows fairly fast and will reach a reasonable height so a row of these might work for you. Fast growing deciduous shrubs such as forsythia, and pieris or even photinia will help fill in the area, as well. I'd recommend wandering through the garden center for a look at some of the hardy plants you can find there.

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"