Mist Bottle with a tinch of fungicide? - Knowledgebase Question

Colby, KS
Question by augustyn
I am using Peter's Reddi-Earth Seed starting mix, and wonder if mixing just a tiny bit of fungicide in with the water when I mist my seedlings is a good preventative measure, overkill, or just a waste of time?

0

The biggest threat to new seedlings is damping off, which is caused by a soil-borne fungus. Since you are using a sterile mix, you shouldn't have a problem. (If you have had problems with damping off in the past, be sure to sterilize the pots before planting.) I always avoid using fungicides and insecticides unless I am sure I have a problem; by spraying a little every day you encourage pests to build up resistance to the chemical. I would only spray a fungicide if you see definite symptoms of a fungal infection.