Slime Mold and Mushrooms - Knowledgebase Question

Bethlehem, PA
Question by startac1107
June 30, 2007
I am getting mushrooms everywhere in my mulch and now am getting this yellow Slime Mold that is considered harmless but ugly. I understand that this can be cleared by raking the mulch and exposing to sun but 1) the mulch is in an area that does not get much sunlight and 2) I am a bit too lazy to be raking the mulch all of the time. Can I spray something onto them that will not kill my shrubs or perennials yet control these fungus'. Thanks.

Answer from NGA
June 30, 2007


What you are seeing are the above ground portions of the mushrooms and slime mold. The underground portions are feeding on decaying organic matter in the soil or in the mulch. As soon as that is used up, or as soon as conditions are no longer suitable to them, they will stop on their own. They will not harm living plants and are a natural part of the process of decay and soil rejuvenation. I am not aware of any recommended treatments to stop them. If you are watering often, you might try cutting back to an occasional deep watering rather than frequent light sprinklings, sometimes this can allow the soil surface and top inch or so to dry enough that it discourages these from growing. It is also better for your plants to water deeply less often rather than a daily light sprinkling.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"