cut my sod-grass - Knowledgebase Question

brooklyn, ny
Question by b_moncah
I am new to lawn care. I would like to know when is the best time to cut my sod. i also have a problem with sod that is turning gold and i water it what should I do?

0

Mow the sod when it reaches about four to four and a half inches high. Set your mower blade high at three or three and a half inches. Then mow often enough that you cut no more than a third of the height off at a time. Make sure your mower blade is sharp.

If it is turning brown then there is a problem. It may be that your watering pattern is uneven, or there may be poor sod- to soil contact in that spot, or perhaps your soil preparation was uneven. When you water, make sure it is soaking down to six inches to encourage deep rooting, and do not allow the sod to dry out. If you just laid the sod and have temperatures over 80 degrees you may need to water twice a day for the first two weeks or so.