Shredded Paper In The Compost - Knowledgebase Question

Ridgecrest, CA
Question by sorensenp
How much toxin will I add to my compost by including all paper products that can be shredded, e.g., computer paper, magazines, junk mail, etc? Would it be a large amount or small enough to not worry about?

0

You've asked a very open-ended question. It would be best for your compost pile if you recycled glossy magazine-type papers, and shredded only computer paper and regular letters and envelopes to add to the pile. There are dyes in the colored picturesof newspapers and magazines that you probably don't want in your garden or compost pile. If these items are recycled, they'll be made into similar products, and that's the safest way to dispose of them.