Does purple fountain grass need repotting? - Knowledgebase Question

Chula Vista, CA
Question by pamchris
I have two one gallon containers of purple fountain grass in the original nursery pots. I plan to put in ground in December. They are in hot full sun location-similiar to what they will eventually be put in ground.

Should I repot? or just wait. What kind of fertilizing? I do a diluted 12-5-5 all purpose once a week, deep soak once a week and fish emulsion every three weeks.

Thank you so much!

0

Unless the roots are escaping through the drainage holes of the pot, it probably isn't necessary to repot your purple fountain grass. Wait until December when you plan to plant it in the ground. Sounds like fertilizing is right in line with the needs of your ornamental grass and watering may be adequate - plants in pots tend to dry out faster than the same plants in the ground so pick the pot up every few days; if it is light, it needs water; if it feels heavy, it can go a few more days without water.

Best wishes with your landscape!