Deterring Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

Action, MA
Question by karendunn
Last year our vegetable garden was devastated by squirrels-- they ate everything. I'm looking for the list of ideas, short of killing them, to arm myself for this year. So far, I know of: plastic owls or snakes and fox urine. What are other alternatives?

0

OK...squirrels are tough, but there may be some help for you.

The easiest would probably be to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard.

I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem! Are you sure that squirrels are the only culprit? Could you also be having trouble with a woodchuck, or a family of rabbits?