Lucky Bamboo Turning Yellow - Knowledgebase Question

DENVER, CO
Question by HOTTIEINDTOW
I love lucky bamboo's and I have a lot of them. I've never had any problems with them until one of the 4 are starting to turn yellow. I've changed the water in the vase. I don't know what else to do. Please help me save them!

0

Yellowing is not a good sign! This plant really only tolerates indirect light, and yellowing can be a sign of too much light reaching it. So the lighting is one thing to check. Next, this plant really seems to object to fertilizer salts and other minerals in the water so the yellowing could also be related to that. I would suggest using rain water for it if you can and do not fertilize it. Change the water and clean the vase frequently so it does not "sour". You may be able to save it if you can trim away the yellowed portion, then rinse the underwater part of the plant in a solution of bleach and water -- one part ordinary chlorine bleach to nine parts water. Rinse it off and also rinse out the container with the bleach/water solution. Dry it, then rinse and refill with plain water. This should help stop that problem from recurring in the water. Good luck with your lucky bamboo!