product starting with the word Holly to save a pine tree - Knowledgebase Question

New York, NY
Question by Lindi629
We have a 20 ft. pine tree on the corner of our
property, which seems to be dying. The very top
of the tree is the only part that is green and
looks healthy. A friend suggested Holly (something, but I can't remember the rest of the
name. Do you know what I am talking about, and
do you have any suggestions? thanks

0

Your friend may have suggested Hollytone, a slow acting granular fertilizer for acid loving plants. This would be fine to use on a healthy pine tree, you would apply it per the label directions. However, it would not help solve a pest or disease problem. There are a number of different problems that can beset pines and unfortunately it is very difficult to make a diagnosis long distance. I would suggest you consult with your Cornell cooperative extension to obtain a definite identification of the problem, and based on knowing that, decide how to proceed.